A big thank you to everyone who participated in our Coalville Needs Assessment. It’s good to know that for the most part our community is getting along pretty well!
The Good News
Based on the responses we received our community is feeling pretty prepared to get through the next couple of months. A good share of people are still fully employed, there is not a lot of sickness and most responded that they should have enough food and supplies to get through. It’s very reassuring to hear that many are doing just fine right now.
What Is Worrying Us
That’s not to say that there aren’t challenges out there. The biggest worry seems to be contracting the virus when it’s necessary to leave home. Some are concerned that we could be doing social distancing a little better. It was mentioned that we’re still seeing people congregating too closely and it would be helpful to assign shopping days by age and location. A feeling of isolation and being cut-off from family and friends is also difficult.
For quite a few, financial stress is a big reality. We do have some job loss and the self-employed are especially hard hit. Most difficult of all, there are some that have responded that they don’t really know how they will make ends meet. This community has always done a great job of putting an arm around those who need it and this current crisis will be no different. It’s so important that we continue to be aware of our neighbors who may need some extra encouragement and help right now.
There is also deep concern about supporting our local businesses during this economic down turn. We can’t afford to lose a single one!
After reviewing the results, we now have a better idea of where to start and what to do to support our community through this tough time. Here are some things in the works that will hopefully make life a little easier for all of us.
- Organize healthy, lower-risk volunteers to run errands and make deliveries for the high-risk group
- Research and provide information on relief resources specifically available to our community
- Work with local businesses to see what can be done to help support them
- Make some printable window signs to let your neighbors know “We’re OK” or “We could use a hand”
- Just for fun – create a walking/driving treasure hunt that will help us get safely out and about town
Hang In There
There is still a long way to go but remember, it will be over some day! Until then let’s see what more we can do to feel connected and informed and support our neighbors. fellow citizens and local businesses.
- If you are a numbers person and would like to see the survey results to date click here
- The survey is still open. If you would like to participate please click below:
- Take the needs assessment survey
As always we love to hear what is on your mind and your suggestions. Your voice still matters! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep your chin up as we wade through the mud together!
Coalville for Responsible Growth